Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Little Pine Island Now and Zen

A favorite trip Ralph Hubbard and I like to make on his catamaran the "Now and Zen" is a trip he makes occasionally up the intracoastal waterway from St. Augustine to Fernandina, Fl.  On the way we spend the night around Pine Island near Guana Reserve. We wake at 5am, have some breakfast and position our boat as the sun comes up for the best painting. After a successful painting meditation, we continue sailing up the waterway, enjoying the jungle-like quality of the river.  I always feel like I am in the Amazon adventuring in the unknown, because it always feels like the first time.  I never tire of the journey because the light is always different and there are a multitude of compositions available to the eye, but each for only a moment.  We pass by them soon, so one is encouraged to remain attentive and mindful of each passing moment as if the Now and Zen boat itself were a sort of time machine, leaving the past behind and constantly moving into the future, while forever remaining in the moment.  It becomes a renewing metaphor for me.  Just as I think I have seen all the tree compositions I can,  I will see one more exciting new composition just ahead, and I am mindful and attentive once again.  Here are some "Zen moments" from the trip...
(Look for paintings from this trip to come into being in the future as we plan to develop a Now and Zen  watercolor and oil show next year.  I will post progress of this on the www.gordonmeggison.com website and Facebook as I go).
 ( NowandZenSailing Charters.com )

Pine Island sunrise


beginning is exciting and challenging, sky and water first


struggling to get the light right against the bugs and changing conditions

I had to relent and use Off before the gnats carried me off.

"A Zen Sunrise at Pine Island" after a few studio touchups

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...