Thursday, January 20, 2011

Watercolor Demo - A New Direction



I have been trying to break out of my detailed way of working into a broader bolder look. In class Tuesday I decided to handicap myself a bit by using a fatter brush than i am used to using. I started out with a concept, - bold bright flat color not much detail. That was my assignment to myself. You should have a clear goal in mind when you set out to paint. If you fail to plan, you inevitably plan to fail.
It occurred to me that I would need to get out of my comfort zone in order to see a significant change in my work. It takes bravery to get out of your comfort zone, because that implies risk! We are all naturally risk averse to some degree. We want to be successful all of the time. Sometimes, however, success can only be born out of risk and perhaps failure. I consider this painting a success because I tried and learned something new. I like the way the colors are flatter and bolder as I wanted, but I lost something of the emotional power I was looking for in the composition. It is too centered when I intended for the sky to only take up a third of the painting. I got so caught up in the sky that I lost track of the composition. I will try try again, but now I am confident I can achieve my goals, but only because I tried something new. Take a chance and don't be afraid to fail, its only paper and a bit of time. What you can learn from any experience of this sort will surely pay you back tenfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...