Thursday, March 2, 2017

"Feast of the Flowers"

The original name of Florida was named by Ponce De Leon as "Feast of the Flowers". 
I seized on this theme some time ago, fascinated by the realization that Ponce de Leon
must have had upon setting foot on Florida soil. Any walk in the forest here will render
just that, when one is looking, something is in bloom at all seasons of the year here. 
I did this piece from a view of my back garden while soaking in my jacuzzi, enjoying
early morning mists there.  I have done this in several ways and in different mediums,
watercolors and acrylics.

Below: I started with a loose composition sketch and some use of masking fluid to preserve white.

Below: loose broad washes set the misty tone, using oranges into the purples to introduce light.  Using saran wrap to get leafy texture into wet washes.
 

Remove the masking fluid.
 

























Color in the whites to appropriately tone the flowers, 
and add leaves in purples and greens to differentiate warm and cool greens.


Below: Two more versions of the same theme, the first is another watercolor version, the second is an acrylic.  They can be viewed in www.gordonmeggison.com


watercolor

Acrylic


No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...