Thursday, March 2, 2017

The Light On A Sensual Cala Lily, A Watercolor

The cala lily is one of my favorite flowers, for it's
sensual shape.  
I wanted to show the watercolor class
at Reddi Arts how to capture the changing
warm to cool light on the flower petals, by
rendering the petals with soft carefully managed
glazing.
The drawing can be equally important because
the sensuality of the shape is an important part
of the whole design.
Next I start with yellow glazes taking care to
keep a lost edge where the color fades out.
Then I begin adding successive pink and blue glazes also keeping the "lost edges"

I begin deepening the glazes particularly in shadow.  Remember a "white" petal is really not an absence of color, it includes all three primaries, separately or together.  Together they make grey, separately they help create a glow, but must be used sparingly.
Below: I started doing the background much more loosely, since I was so careful and tight, to get the glow right, the background can be fun and playful, just going for generalities.  Lights and darks say enough, and against the lily white, it causes the flower to "pop".  I put a faint outline around the flower at first to have something to paint up to, but I keep the outline in the flower colors not the background green, that gives the flower a glow halo, and keeps it from being too harsh.  I used plastic wrap in some areas to give texture into wet washes, salt in others for "effortless" flowery background detail.

The final product!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...