Thursday, March 2, 2017

Reflections of Kingsley's Past

North of Jacksonville, is a secret spot of mine, on Ft George Island, Kingsley plantation.  A beautiful drive, it renders much inspiration for the effort, and transports me back in time to old Florida, a quieter time.

This little inlet at Shad creek, is a favorite stop on the old country dirt road, that I try to catch at sunset, just when the light hits it this way.
Here I will demonstrate a watercolor of this theme.
First I do the drawing and mask my highlights as usual.









Then I begin the color washes in broad wet washes to set up the "light"





While the washes are wet at the bottom, I added plastic
saran wrap to create an abstract ripple effect, but left the upper portion of the water reflection for luminosity.













I remove the masking fluid
to reveal the whites after adding deeper greens in
trees and water,
using salt to give
leafy texture.

























I colored the lily pads and trees with their final glazes and one of my students purchased the piece from me.  Here is the picture of it completed and framed.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...