Friday, May 29, 2020

"Yoga for Watercolor" Plein Air Painting in San Marco Day 1

If you are ready to get out of the house,
 but still want to stay safe, and enjoy this great spring weather while being inspired and uplifted by nature.....  
Join this 4 week Plein Air class 
with Gordon Meggison.  

This will be for both Acrylic , oil and watercolor.  I can coach in whatever medium you prefer.  My demo will initially be watercolor because it was designed to be a sketch medium for future works in other mediums. 
Call Patti at  Reddi Arts 
 (904) 398-3161 x 312 patty@reddiarts.com,  
ask about the Plein Air Class in San Marco with Gordon Meggison June 4-25

"Yoga for Watercolor"
 Plein Air Painting in San Marco
 The literal meaning of “yoga” is “merging two into one”. Yoga is known today as a system of physical postures that promote physical well-being and calmness of mind. However, that is only one meaning of yoga.  The word, yoga,  from  Sanskrit means "to yoke" and "samadhi" or "concentration."   So yoga is a practice that can apply to many things that join the mind, body and spirit.  Plein Air work helps me to do that, gets me off the comfort zone I tend to like, stretches my body, mind and skills, so that I become looser, more flexible.  It creates balance and makes me respond more directly to the moment and the visual stimulation in front of me more intuitively.
It also helps me conquer fear by getting things into perspective, since absolute perfection is not possible, a more playful approach becomes helpful, thus getting me back in touch with the mind of my inner child.

Why Do Plein Air Yoga?Watch this...


I picked San Marco because of it's nooks and shady areas, it's many interesting spots to use for compositions, and it's classical pedestrian friendly atmosphere.  In this case I brought the puppies along to enjoy the beautiful spring weather, and they always love being with daddy!


 
The key to a fun outdoor painting experience as in any travel
 plan, is to travel light. I keep pairing my kit down to the bare
 essentials.  A 2 liter water bottle and container to wash or mix color,
 a palette or small pochade box case with burnt umber, burnt sienna,
 rawsienna, indigo,chrome or sap green, cobalt or ultramarine blue, I like
 horizon blue, and cerulean blue, cadmium yellow. A pencil and kneaded
 eraser, kitchen sponge, some paper towels, Arches watercolor 140lb block
 8x11" or larger depending on your speed and experience. 
You'll need a case, possiblywithwheels, watercolor easel (or you'll
 work on lap) and a butter knife for scraping.
 

When you select a spot you have to keep several things in mind. 
 First sun or shade. If you are not bringing an umbrella, you will need
 to plant yourself in a shay area that is likely to stay so for an hour.
 If not bring a big hat and sunscreen, because you will need it. Sun also
 dries out your paper faster. You also don't want to overwhelm yourself with
 too many details, you will not be able to tackle complex subjects in
 just an hour so pair the theme down. 


I often don't use the pencil, you can start with a brush and lightly
 paint in the drawing, by staying soft and light you can correct later.
 Many people howerver feel it's just too scary without the pencil so I am
 doing that here, but still stay loose, no rulers please,
 this is Yoga after all!
 

 It is always a bit scary to start that first color , the antidote is 
 just to do it. I like to get some line work on but tone and light is fine
 too. Line can come later, but if the paper is wet lines tend to bleed.
 Florida stays humid, so surfaces remain wet for a while, so I developed
 a method of painting where the line work comes first, then I color it in,
 around the line leaving a halo using negative space technique. It keeps it
 calligraphic and looses, and looks a bit abstract which I like.

 

How many and what type of details are important,
 too many and it's overworked, to little and it looks unfinished,
 but more often than not less is more.


A closeup of the San Marco Little Theatre painting.


I finished the San Marco site by 9:30 so I decided to see
 if I could get one more watercolor in at another location
 I had my eye on Alexandria Park.  I had started another
 watercolor there before, but a dog knocked my easel
 and paint into the dirt, and I was out of water so I didn't
 quite finish it.  This time I brought more water and thought
 I would try the same spot , and it worked fairly well. 
 I don't usually have the energy to do two in one
 morning so I wasparticularly pleased with myself,
 a side benefit to "Yoga for Watercolor"  ! lol


Not sure you can handle it or Keep Up?
take a look at my blog with videos that
walkyou through a painting I did today, you'll
get a feel for what we will be experiencing.
I call it Yoga Watercolor
One or two spots left, 8 max

To balance mind, spirit and body
in these stressful times, get in touch
with your inner playful child, it's less
about perfection and more about the
pure joyof being and doing.
Patty Lorimer (904) 398-3161 x 312 patty@reddiarts.com,
about my Plein Air Class
starting in San Marco Square!
with Gordon Meggison
Thursdays, June 4 to 25
8am -11am
A NO ZOOM ZONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...