Thursday, July 14, 2011

Build up Varnish and Pigment




Here is the latest driftwood addition to the family of new techniques I am exploring. I am moving this out of the studio today like a newborn child ushered off to adoption before I can fall in love with it :( I really love this piece, but it is for ie-designs, so its sold already. In this one I discovered a new technique where I put varnish down thickly and loosely then drop in loose wet paint directly into the varnish to let it ooze naturally together. Then I add other successive colors next to those and let them chaotically run together (controlled chaos) to simulate natural grain and weathering. The varnish becomes a carrier and allows the pigment to fall naturally to different levels, allowing light to pick up color and texture on many levels. Its hard to describe in words or to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...