Sunday, July 3, 2011

Imbedded color technique


I am working on a large set of acrylic paintings, a driftwood series for an interior designer Veronique at wwww.IE-Designs.com (from a reference photo I took from a Jekyll Island trip I took). In this particular set I was given a limited earth tone palette, and all color variations had to spring from it, making it somewhat monochromatic. Here are some pictures of the stages of the piece. First I charcoal on the drawing. I could have stopped there , I loved the way the drawing looked! Second I started laying in a ground base of the colors that I premixed and selected, and put into squeeze bottles. Laying these colors down was particularly challenging and confusing. The idea is to put joint compound over this after the color dries thoroughly, skimming on the tree areas, and texturing the other areas. This will be the second base on which Stage 3 will be to sand down and remove the joint compound glaze gently to expose the underground color I laid in in Stage 2. As this color is exposed gradually it takes on a life of its own. I will then in Stage 4 lay in glazes onto the new "white" joint compound to bring back in the appropriate shadows and highlights. (See the pic examples)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...