Sunday, May 31, 2020

The Value of Experimentation-Taking Risks- Day 3

Yoga Watercolors at San Marco Square Day 3
Most people are risk averse, but I have to tell you, every risk carries it's own reward.  Cliche as it sounds, I kind of knew this painting would turn out like this, but I wanted to learn.  When a monkey was sent into outer space to see if it could survive the journey, it prepared man for space flight by what was learned.  Today I wanted to do an experiment with larger paper and try Hot Pressed Arches, because I ran out of Cold Pressed Arches blocks.  So I Tried Hot Pressed 140lb, and while I don't quite like the way it takes the color, I do like the larger format.  I also use a larger flat brush for most of the painting which allows me to work boldly and loosely on the surface.  I also used the pencil a little more boldly letting some show through, so think I might try that again.  Normally I don't like pencil lines to show, but with architecture and complex subjects it's practically a must.  It isn't the best watercolor I have done, but half the purpose is learning and experimentation.  As far as I am concerned, it is a success!  I got out to paint, enjoyed the day, met an old friend who was walking in the park, and tried new approaches, tools and materials.  Win win!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Todays Wednesday Custom Art Lessons

 Here are some students engaged each on their own paintings, I help each one at their unique level. Each of my students are amazing creative...